Monday, April 2, 2012

Time Freak (2011)

1 Nomination, 0 Wins

Nomination: Best Short Film, Live Action - Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey


After watching about 30 seconds of "Time Freak," I had a moment like the one that hit Anton Ego in Ratatouille, as I was suddenly transported back to my days in film school. The short film, though much more slickly produced than those that I saw during my undergraduate years, has many of the characteristics of a student short film, namely a cast that looks more like friends of the filmmakers than professional actors. Upon this realization, my interest in the film began to wane - most student short films aren't very good - and I checked my watch to see how much time remained, a bad sign for any film, but particularly insulting for a short.

A few moments after my rush to judgment, as the premise of "Time Freak" made itself clear, I forgot all about my premature dismissal and found myself loving the film. The short is the story of a neurotic young inventor who discovers the secrets of time travel, but instead of surveying ancient Rome or exploring the future, first decides to correct a series of recent mistakes in his life. Like the best comedic shorts, the filmmakers take a simple premise and turn it on its head. In "Time Freak," time travel is presented not in the usual mode of science fiction, but instead in an approach that Woody Allen might take.

The film exhibits impressive comedic timing, and the film moves along at a brisk pace with clever editing and excellent performances from the cast. "Time Freak," like the previous year's Oscar winner in the category "God of Love," is a perfect demonstration of the wonderful comedy that can come only from a well-crafted short film.

Remaining: 3166 films, 874 Oscars, 5444 nominations

No comments:

Post a Comment