Monday, January 14, 2013

The 85th Annual Academy Award Nominations Are In

After a long break in which I recharged my batteries, watched some movies that (gasp) did not receive any Academy Award nominations, and waged war with my cable provider to make sure that I continued to receive Turner Classic Movies, with the Oscar season upon us I am excited to return to the Every Oscar Ever project to watch and write about both this year's nominees and nominees from past years, many of which I will watch on 31 Days of Oscar.

This year's nominations stuck largely to expectations, but there were a few surprises. While I'll be forced to watch a few films I am less than excited about due to their nominations in technical categories, namely Mirror Mirror, the nominations also give me the necessary push to catch some films that interest me, but I might otherwise miss (Chasing Ice, Kon-Tiki).

So without further ado, here are the films nominated that I have yet to see.

Nominated Films I Have Yet to See
Amour - 5
Django Unchained - 5
Zero Dark Thirty - 5
Flight - 2
The Impossible - 1
The Sessions - 1
ParaNorman - 1
The Pirates! Band of Misfits - 1
War Witch - 1
No - 1
A Royal Affair- 1
Kon-Tiki - 1
Mirror Mirror - 1
Snow White and the Huntsman - 2
Hitchcock - 1
Chasing Ice - 1
Prometheus - 1
5  Broken Cameras - 1
The Gatekeepers - 1
How to Survive a Plague - 1
The Invisible War  - 1
"Inocente" - 1
"Kings Point" - 1
"Mondays at Racine" - 1
"Open Heart" - 1
"Redemption" - 1
"Adam and Dog" - 1
"Head Over Heels" - 1
"Paperman" - 1
"Asad" - 1
"Buzkashi Boys" - 1
"Curfew" - 1
"Death of a Shadow" - 1
"Henry" - 1

It looks like I have a full dance card, with 21 feature-length films and 13 short films ahead of me. As always, the hardest part won't be making time to watch the films, but simply finding means of watching some of the more obscure nominees. If anyone has any leads on some of the harder-to-find nominees, particularly the shorts, please get in touch.

First on my slate will be the documentary How to Survive a Plague, which is available via Netflix streaming. I hope to have a review up later this week.

Happy Oscar season everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment